In this module you will be taught how to select the correct size of conductors and cables, properties of conductors, precautions when using busbars, armoured and unarmoured cables differences and insulation
Key and critical concepts which you will learn:
- Explain the difference between good conductors and insulators and give examples and uses of both.
- Explain what stranding is and why it is used to manufacture cables.
- Name and define two types of unarmoured cable and give uses for each.
- Explain what armoured cable is and state where it is used.
- Explain what TRS cable is and explain with the aid of sketches, the difference in construction of the three classes of TRS cable.
- Use tables to determine the current carrying capacities of the different sizes of PVC cables.
- Explain the systems of colour coding used on conductors.
- Explain the screening systems used on flexible and semi-flexible trailing cables.
Tools, consumables, machinery and equipment required:
- Module book / learning material
- Booklet to make notes
- Any electrical environment where you are required to distribute power from one source to another
- Subject matter experts
- In-company Standard Operating Procedures