RLD-1: Develop a Cone Cut Horizontally
To enable the learner to develop a cone that is cut horizontally (parallel to the base) using the radial line method.
Key and critical concepts which you will learn:
On completion of this module, the learner must be able to use an engineering drawing and radial line method to develop a cone that is cut horizontally.
A practical test will be set at the end of the module and must be completed without using references.
The learner will be given an engineering drawing of a cone that is cut horizontally and must use the radial line method to develop it.
- The following standards must be achieved:
- The correct method as described in these notes must be used.
- All the angles must be within ±1° of the required angle.
- All the sizes must be within ±1mm of the required measurements.
Tools, consumables, machinery and equipment required:
- Pencil, drawing paper, engineering drawings, drawing equipment
The radial line development method is a unique method with which only cones and centre pyramids can be developed. It can be recognized by the apex that can be obtained and where there is a significant difference between the top and bottom diameter.