OM-3: Operate a Guillotine Shearing Machine
You will learn to operate a guillotine correctly and safe. How to make adjustments to blade clearance for different thickness of material.
Key and critical concepts which you will learn:
On completion of this module the learner must be able to:
- Recall all the safety rules applicable to the operation of a guillotine shearing machine.
- Cut a plate to given sizes with a guillotine shearing machine
- A practical test will be set at the end of the module, and must be completed without using references.
- The learner will be required to cut a plate to a given size, using a guillotine shearing machine.
- The following standards must be achieved:
- (a) The plate sizes must be within ± 0,5mm of the required sizes.
- (b) There must not be any sharp edges on the bottom of the plate.
- (c) There must not be any damage to the machine or equipment.
- (d) The reason for setting the blade clearance to suit the material thickness must be correctly given.
- All the safety rules must be followed. (The learner may be required to state and demonstrate the application of the safety rules).
Tools, consumables, machinery and equipment required:
- 3mm plate, 1.6mm plate, Scriber, Tape, Ruler.
The guillotine is generally use to cut different sheets of steel to size.