HT-0: Use Hand Tools
You will learn to use hand tools, instruments and equipment correct and safe. You will also learn de different marking off techniques
Key and critical concepts which you will learn:
On completion of this module, the learner must be able to:
- Correctly use the measuring and marking-off instruments required by a boilermaker to ply his trade.
- Correctly and safely use hand tools and equipment required in the boilermaker trade.
- Care for and maintain tools and equipment
- A practical test will be set at the end of the module and must be completed without using references.
- The learner will be required to demonstrate his ability to use the instruments, tools and equipment covered in this module.
- The following standards must be achieved:
- (a) Tools must be used correctly and safely, as described in these notes and as demonstrated by the training officer.
- (b) There must be no damage to tools, instruments and equipment.
- (c) Tools, instruments and equipment must be cleaned and properly stored after use.
Tools, consumables, machinery and equipment required:
- Scriber, Hacksaw, steel rule, measuring tape, folding rule, spring divider, line of chords, engineering square, flat square, flange square, bevel gage, combination set, center punch, prick punch, chalk line, trammel points, shifting spanner, chisel, plier, Tin snips (left hand, right hand and straight) electric hand shear, portable electrical drill. Smiting tools (Anvil, flatter and set hammer, round punch).
To make sure you choose the correct tool for the job you do. The more you actually use them the better your skills will be. To make sure you know how to use the tools for their correct application.