AW-1: Bead and Weave Weld
You will learner to use arc welding equipment correctly and safely. You will also learn how to make a bead and weave weld on a piece of plate.
Key and critical concepts which you will learn:
On completion of this module, the learner must be able to:.
- Use an arc welder to weld a bead deposit on a piece of material.
- Use an arc welder to weld a weave deposit on a piece of material.
- A practical test will be set at the end of the module and must be completed without using references.
- The learner will be required to use an arc welder to make a bead and a weave weld onto a piece of mild steel plate to the following standards:
- (a) The penetration must be according to the sample model.
- (b) The welding must not have any slag inclusions.
- (c) Undercutting must not exceed 1/10th of the material thickness.
- (d) There must not be any porosity in the weld.
- (e) The start and finish of the weld must be according to the sample model.
- (f) The surface of the weld must be the same as the sample model.
- All the safety procedures applicable to arc welding must be adhered to. Refer to the HIAC Form.
Tools, consumables, machinery and equipment required:
- AC/DC welding machine, welding rods, welding helmet, chipping hammer, wire Bruch, welding clamps, plates.
To learn the different types of welding equipment and how to set up a welding machine. You will also learn how to set the amps for the selected electrode you want to use for the various materials that needs to be welded.